Tuesday's Special: My Favorite Granola Recipe (with NO oil!)

How about that?  It's yummy AND healthy!  I didn't think those two could co-exist!


My favorite granola recipe is originally from Baking Bites. It's so good you won't want to stop eating it!


Applesauce Granola

3-1/2 cups rolled oats
2 cups puffed rice cereal (aka Rice Krispies)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional; find in health food section)
1/4 cup wheat germ (optional)
1/4 cup flax seed meal (optional)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
dash of ground cardamom
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup plain applesauce (not chunky)
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (I use maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
up to 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts*
up to 1 cup dried fruit**


*Nut suggestions: hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts (I toast these either on the stovetop in a dry cast iron skillet or in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes- check often to prevent the nuts from getting too brown; toasting really seems to enhance the flavor of the nuts) PLUS cashews, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds


**dried fruit suggestions: cranberries, chopped apricots, raisins, cherries, blueberries, raspberries


Preheat oven to 325F and line a large cookie sheet (or two smaller sheets) with parchment paper.  -I use my Silpat liners instead of the parchment paper.


In a large bowl combine the oats, puffed rice cereal, spices, salt,coconut flakes, wheat germ and flax seed meal (if using).  In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, applesauce, maple syrup or honey and vanilla.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients along with chopped (& toasted) nuts and stir to combine.  Spread the wet granola evenly on the cookie sheet(s).


Bake on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes and then carefully- using a wide spatula- turn the granola over.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes, until crisp and golden.  Depending on the size of the cookie sheet the center may not be fully dried if the granola layer is thick but the edges might be browning.  Remove the edges of the baked granola to a cooling rack and let the rest of the granola bake for another 15 minutes until done.  -It usually takes the full hour for mine to be done (just be sure to keep turning it to brown it evenly!).


Cool on cookie sheet.  Break up granola, add in fruit and store in an airtight container (I store mine in a gallon size Ziploc bag).  - I usually forget to add the fruit...this can be done when you serve it.  



Just a side note: sometimes I toast the puffed rice cereal before mixing it with the oatmeal.  I do that in a dry cast iron skillet on the cooktop.  One time, however, I didn't closely watch the toasting process and I burned the cereal.  It was awful...nothing I could do to save that batch!  (I foolishly thought the burnt taste wouldn't come through in the end product.  I was wrong!).  I'm not sure that toasting the rice cereal makes any difference...perhaps try it and see what you think!


*********
I found this quote on the internet and it very neatly sums up my thoughts on cooking:


You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients. 
Julia Child


I'm hoping to bring you my favorite recipes every Tuesday (Tuesday's Special).  That way I can revisit old favorites and discover new ones in the process!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking  – (April 12, 2011 at 8:45 AM)  

Wow this sounds awesome. I have been looking for a new granola recipe and I think I have just found it!!

Amy Siegert  – (April 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM)  

That looks sooooo good. I love granola! I may just be trying this..now to round up the ingredients!

Astrid in Bristling Acres  – (April 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM)  

Amy, the nice thing about this granola recipe is that you can use what you have (well, you'll definitely want oatmeal and the puffed rice cereal and the wet ingredients). You can suit it to you and your family's tastes. We just love munching straight off the pan after it comes out of the oven. I eat it every morning as my breakfast cereal.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP