Hooked on::Bird Watching

What am I currently hooked on?


Two words:

Bird watching!





Junco (I think) in my window box. I spread birdseed all over my boxes so that we could view the birds up close.








We've put out lots and lots of birdseed this winter (mostly sunflower seeds and suet blocks). It's a joy to watch the birds. It really brightens up our c-c-cold winter days. I think we've seen black capped chickadees, one short eared owl (I think that's what it was), juncos, various sparrows, several woodpeckers, American goldfinches, cardinals, nuthatches, Stellar blue jay and some other birds I have yet to identify.



The bummer is that they're difficult to photograph (for me anyway). First off- it's dang cold outside and I don't feel like freezing my tushie off outside. Second, the birds will fly off the instant I open the door. Some return quickly but most don't. Actually, the goldfinches (American species I believe) and cardinals are nervous little birds! They'll fly away if you make any noise inside the house. Annoying. I have yet to photograph the cute yellow birds.



All that means is that we're enjoying watching our birds from inside our cozy warm house.



And if you're interested...the birds still have NOT shown any interested in the Fruit Loops necklaces we hung out for them. At least they're colorful.



Now it's your turn...what are you hooked on? Go visit Hooked on Houses to see what others are hooked on today.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses  – (January 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM)  

The photo of the owl is pretty incredible. It's hard to get pics of them. We have owls that we hear a lot at night in the woods behind our house, but hardly ever actually catch sight of any.

We've got some HUGE hawks that swoop around during the day, though, and I'm always trying to snap pictures of them. They hunt the snakes and mice in our woods, so we appreciate them quite a bit. ;-)

Thanks for joining my party!

Ms. Tee  – (January 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM)  

Wow - I can't believe you actually were able to get a photograph of the owl - how pretty! We have them, but they are so skittish that they fly off the second they see us. :)

Mammatalk  – (January 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM)  

Gorgeous. That owl shot is incredible!

Anonymous –   – (February 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM)  

Great pics!

Little Birdie Secrets  – (February 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM)  

I really love these pictures. The birds are beautiful.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP