For The Birds

Last week at our library's story time we made a bird feeder by stringing Fruit Loops on some yarn.


I thought it was a fun idea- practicing fine motor skills, feeding our birds (which is something we LOVE to do here at Bristling Acres) and -ahem (please forgive me!)- munching on broken & unworthy Fruit Loops. (wink, wink)

Oh...to make the stringing easier I put tape around one end of the piece of yarn (to make it stiffer to thread) and I tied the first Fruit loop near the bottom of the yarn so that the rest of the rest of the threaded cereal wouldn't fall off accidentally.


It was challenging for Ava to string the Fruit Loops. I like seeing the cheerful colors hanging up in the branches.


The down side???
--The birds haven't touched them yet! --They must also know that Fruit Loops are bad for you. hee hee!


I think I'll coat them with peanut butter later and see if we get any takers then.



(yes I do brush Ava's hair! I promise I do!)




I can view them from my library window. It's fun to go bird watching!
UPDATE: I just saw a black capped chickadee pecking away at one.

RunninL8  – (January 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM)  

Hi there from Alaska! I'm enjoying your fun blog! Always nice to find more likeminded mamas! We're getting ready to set out some treats for our birds today as well! Of I go to peruse some more!

Beth  – (January 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM)  

WHAT A CUTE PROJECT!!! I will definitely have to get some froot loops today and let poor sick Gregory do this craft while he recuperates! He made a bird feeder from a kit he got for Christmas, and is super-excited about the idea of feeding the birds. I know he'll jump all over this cool idea.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP