Sunflowers

We grew lots of sunflowers in various sizes and colors this summer. Some turned into massive giants and others stayed petite and sweet. The massive ones were volunteers from the bird seed I put out over the winter (and I let them grow up).


Since it's that time of year where I put my garden to rest...it also means dealing with the sunflower heads.


I had the girls remove the sunflower seeds from some of the heads...we'll save them to feed the birds this winter. Even though it looked like a lot of seeds in actuality they won't last more than a few days before getting devoured by hungry critters.

string of smaller sunflower heads. I hope the birds find them!Another string of sunflower heads. They're replacing the hummingbirds feeders. So far no takers from other birds. I hope they'll come!
In other news...the hummingbirds left me. SOB! I cared for them all summer...fed them who knows how many gallons of sugar water and they've now left me. No more dodging tiny birds doing war games with each other.

Margaret  – (October 3, 2008 at 8:14 AM)  

I love it that Ava is doing garden work in a fancy party dress. She's such a cutie pie. I can't wait to see her and all of you at Christmas. :)

Emily  – (October 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM)  

I have always wanted to grow the giant sunflowers. I think they are amazing!

Sorry about your hummingbirds. ;(

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP