Ack! There's a Fish my Bathroom!
It started with just one fish toy....
All right- I know most of you have already seen my There's Something Fishy bathroom but I thought I'd post it in Blog Land anyway.
I think it all started with the Rainbow Trout toy my Opa (the girls' Uropa from Austria) bought for Annika while we were visiting my mom. That got me thinking about painting fish in the kids' bathroom- why not make it fun???
I started painting this bathroom when I was 8 months pregnant with Ava (my youngest). My husband kindly painted the walls (and did the wave pattern) blue- bless him! I stopped the blue part way up the wall because I didn't like the feeling of drowning in water. Now I think I should have taken the blue water further up the wall. Oh well. I still haven't figured out what to do with the rest of the white walls and I'm inclined to leave them alone until I can figure out what to do.
I painted almost all the fish free hand. There are two fish that were done with stencils (but you can't tell since I colored them in like the rest). Before I started painting I did several drawings of fish- I poured over my old Biology books, Jacques Cousteau's The Ocean World and many children's books illustrated by Shannon Cartwright.
The shower curtain is from Target. Though I love the fish theme I didn't want it to SCREAM fish EVERYWHERE - hence the stripey shower curtain.
Me- 8 months pregnant painting the fish. Ahhh...memories! I based the fish shapes on real fish but obviously the colors are my own.
I made the yellow valance. I actually sewed something! (I really wish I were better at sewing...some day!) I made the starfish hooks from Fimo dough (they've got polka dots on them) and hot glued them to the curtain hook thingamabobs. The sea horses took me a long darn time to paint!
My nod to my home state (that would be Alaska if you didn't already know)- SALMON! See the snails? I based some of my drawings on Shannon Cartwright's illustrations (I have most of the books she's illustrated).
See the Rainbow Trout that started it all? He came from Pike's Market in Seattle. (how fitting- Pike's Market...hee hee) Hmm...perhaps I need better photos - there's a clownfish (obvious nod to Finding Nemo), sea anemones and star fish on a rock. Oh...and the sea horses- I HEART sea horses!
My tiny submarine. Mark wouldn't let me paint it yellow. Drat. 
Sea turtle- took a long darn time to paint. Love him. I googled sea turtles in order to find an appropriate drawing/photo for me to use. Oh...and you can see a jellyfish around the corner. It's glittery but the glitter doesn't show up very well.

I could keep painting fish in there but Mark said ENOUGH!
Now, will someone kindly tell me what to do with the top half?


I love your fishy bathroom! It's so fun and you are really talented!
I thought of you last night. Do you watch The Office? If not, one of the characters on the show had a baby and named her Astrid. Is it crazy that I think of my bloggy friends the way I do my in-real-life friends? :-)
Kimba
How bizarre! I've watched a little bit of The Office on Netflix...I'll have to wait to see that episode! I admit that it's always weird to see or hear my name- which throws me for a loop when we visit parts of Europe where Astrid is a more common name.
Oh MAN! I'm staring at a PINK sky. Oh so pretty!
You could re-paint the white in a really pale, contrasting blue and then sponge paint fluffy white clouds all over it.
Sally- I plan on painting Ava's room a light blue with white puffy clouds (with perhaps shapes in the clouds). I just haven't had the heart to take down the PBK bunny nursery stuff.