Alaska Trip: Kenai Fjords Tour

I'm not sure where to begin with these photos of our Kenai Fjords Tour...we saw everything we could have hoped for (okay...seeing a whale breaching would have been phenomenal but I'll take what I can get. LOL!)

Our lovely catamaran boat!

Cool cave with birds

Common murre ....birds that look like they've got penguin suits on.


Everybody on deck!



ORCA!








SEAL! or lovingly known as Sea Sausage

Humpback Whale!




Sea Lion!


Northwestern Glacier. We sat and watched it calve for several minutes (or was it an hour? I certainly wasn't keeping track of time!)

An ICEfall (you know...as opposed to a water fall?)

The Cliffs of Insanity (surely we're not the only people that know the "Princess Bride"?). The captain got right up to the edge of the cliff (being a fjord means that the mountain plunges deep into the water).



Teeny tiny cove. I have no idea how the captain of the boat managed to get our large vessel in and out of this tight spot...but he did!


VERY, very tired girls. Annika LOVED being on the boat!

Sea otter...can you guess where? Right in the boat harbor. Clogged up foot traffic coming off the boat!

Naturally the photos don't do it justice. I could try posting all the photos from our day trip but I think I'd better not. Needless to say we had the best day possible for this. It started quite overcast and then blossomed into a beautiful sunny but chilly day. Thank Goodness Mommy remembered what Alaska can be like in the fall AND remembered to pack warm clothes! We DID forget to pack the binoculars but guess what you can rent????
FYI- the boats don't get super close to the sea mammals. I used a software to zoom up on them. The boats aren't allowed to get too close to them (with good reason!).
Other interesting points- for myself anyway- we heard several languages spoken on board (by visitors). I heard Italian, Dutch and German...plus English. Mostly Italian. Now I'm determined to learn Italian! It's such a pretty language.

OMG! They baked up chocolate chip cookies on board while we were heading back to Seward. The smell just about killed me! I WANTED COOKIES! Fortunately (for the guys working on board) they handed one cookie to each person.

Margaret  – (September 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM)  

Wow did you ever hit the jackpot! I've been on those tours and only seen gray clouds!

Beth  – (September 9, 2009 at 7:20 AM)  

WOW. Just. WOW!! What a trip! You saw it all and had good weather. This is another amazing batch of pictures.

Amy Siegert  – (September 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM)  

These photos take my breath away. Simply wonderful! God's glory revealed in so many ways!

Christi  – (September 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM)  

What georgeous pictures!! I think I just fell in love with Alaska.

Unknown  – (September 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM)  

What terrific photos! stopping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same.

Unknown  – (September 11, 2009 at 6:46 AM)  

Great photos - sounds like an amazing trip.

Stopping by from SITS to say hello!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP