AK Trip: Miners not Minors....
We spent one very cool & drizzly morning tempting our luck with some Gold Panning at Crow Creek Gold Mine.
Gold panning is just one of those activities that I've always wanted to try and never took the time for when we lived all those years in Alaska.
Read this sign (click to enlarge)---->
This would be Crow Creek. (makes sense, right?)
Well, the entry fee allows you use of a gold pan (saucer like plastic dish), a plastic container full of dirt that also contains specks of gold, and a shovel. They do a little demo on how it's done and then they send you off to the creek. First, we found the gold in our plastic containers. Then we tried our luck digging out dirt from the creek and swishing it around. It was calming to sit there and do that BUT I have absolutely no idea how people used to make a living doing that! Hard way to make a living.


I love that sign!
Panning for gold, how cool is that!
I'm with Annika though; don't think I would have the patience for it! But what a beautiful place!!
What a fun outing! There's always one in our crew who just won't get with the program! Beautiful pictures!