Going skiing
Okay, I'm not going skiing- not yet anyway. However, I am thinking about my skis - the skis that are in my entry way.
View from entry - you can see the table in background.
I really, really, really need help figuring out what color to paint them. I've never wanted to leave them red and yellow. I had wanted to strip them down to their original wood but I don't have the patience to do that. Sooo...that leaves painting them.
PLEASE HELP ME figure out what color they should be!!! I'm thinking of something neutral...black? I don't have any black furniture in the house though...everything is wood toned (mostly cherry and maple). I do have a black wood stove in the living room. My house is full of autumn colors- shades of orange, red, browns with sage green and blue thrown into the mix.
The skis are the first thing you see when you enter the house. I love them- they're a bit whimsical and very practical and I came up with the idea of using them as a coat rack all by myself! I'd just like them to look a little more finished or intentional or...I'm not sure of the right word.
View from kitchen area. You can see the woodstove in the background. I am planning on tiling the woodstove alcove with natural slate tiles...Some day. Oh and some day we'll have the trim back up! Excuse the mess. I'm working on putting up fall/halloween decorations.
The bench is natural cherry and matches our dining room set.
I also can't figure out what else to put up on the wall. I like the corkboard there - perhaps not the nicest thing to see when entering a house but it IS practical and there isn't a better place for it. Any ideas? I guess I do a different corkboard ... or do something else all together? Baskets attached to the wall?


OK. First off...that is brilliant!!! What a fantastic idea!
I actually think that they look great the way they are. But I understand what you mean about making them look a little more purposeful by painting them.
Personally, I think black works with just about any room. Just as an accent would be great. It will pick up off of other things you probably don't even realize are there. Like that candleholder on the table in your picture. Or how about the sage green that you mentioned is in your house?
Those skis are so much fun that I wouldn't want them to blend in. I'd want them to pop out!
And I like the idea of keeping the corkboard and using it as kind of an organization center. Maybe add a couple of baskets to hold bills and mail.
Let me know what you end up doing. I love this idea!!!
Astrid I think the red and yellow is entirely charming! And the cork-board makes it look like a home where busy people live. It's a good look. :)
I'd like to link to this post on Saturday if that's OK with you.
I wondered over here from Kimba's blog. I knew we would be friends from the moment I saw your fantastic taste in blog design. (we have the same one)
I love the ski's. What a fantastic idea! I don't know what the rest of your house looks like, but my initial thought would be to paint them chocolate brown.
Ooh, I 2nd the chocolate brown color. And as for the board, how about popping it out of the frame (if it has one) and covering it in fabric? You can paint the frame to match the skis and then put it back together again. You still get all of the function of your board but with a little pretty thrown in.
Happy deciding. ;)
great idea. I came over from Kimba. i think you have a much better design skills then I do so i cannot give any suggestions.
Have you done anything with the skii's yet? Very cool, and I third the idea of chocolate brown. What about stringing some wire from the coat hooks on each side to make a place to hang your kids art work? Or just one wire at the top and keep the corkboard underneath where it is?
BLACK!! It goes with everything, it will look great on your neutral walls and it will visually balance the stove pipe in the other room.
Had a great time visiting your blog. I love that you love to play and have fun making art with your girlies just like me!