Mushroom Cake Version 4.01

I really need your honest opinion.

Annika's birthday is coming up and I want to do a fairy theme (since I'm not quite ready for a Barbie theme). I found cute fairy toadstool cakes here but you have to log on in order to view the photos in the gallery (just type "toadstool" into the search engine). Here is another toadstool cake. I think this is an even better one (and the one most of the other ones are modeled after).


So....after you've looked at what I want to try to create look at my first (and very quick) attempt last night at creating a mushroom cake. I will say that I will do some things differently in the final version - I will cover the mushroom with rolled fondant (even though it tastes yucky) and I will make the mushroom cap pink and put white dots on it (and I'd do the door differently). I'm really curious if the shape looks like a mushroom. Some of the toadstool mushroom cakes I've seen have a more triangular top- so they don't look like a button mushroom.
Mark took this cake in to work today. Hopefully his coworkers will forgive its odd shape and eat it anyway. (that way I don't have to eat it!)

So...what do you think? Please, PLEASE tell me! :)

Anonymous –   – (July 31, 2008 at 12:20 PM)  

I think it's pretty cute, and does look like a mushroom. I had one idea though. You could make gills for the mushroom out of licorice ropes (red if Annika doesn't like black) and stick them along the underside of the cap. It's a completely unnecessary idea of course, but it popped into my head.

Beth  – (July 31, 2008 at 2:11 PM)  

See, I think I like yours better. The other one looked saggy and heavy, like it might fall down before the party. Yours is cute and perky, and most assuredly tastes better :-)

Astrid in Bristling Acres  – (July 31, 2008 at 4:36 PM)  

Sally, that's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if that will work if I use the rolled fondant but I'll get some licorice ropes to try.

Margaret  – (August 2, 2008 at 5:16 PM)  

I think it's incredibly adorable, Astrid. Also, I showed it to Jon without saying what it was supposed to be, and he said "It's a little mushroom house! Like a Smurf house!" So my verdict is that it's totally recognizable. :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP