{Rainbow Jello} in Pint Jars
>> Monday, May 2, 2011 –
recipe
Remember last week when I said I need to make a Rainbow Jello dessert some day?
Well, that some day turned out to be yesterday (Sunday)!
I made them in honor of Annika's last choir concert of the year (which was also on that Sunday). Plus, it helped that I had all the ingredients to make them. ;-)
I decided to make the rainbow jello in pint jars...for no reason other than I couldn't find a dish that would easily fit in my freezer. Plus, it was fun for everyone to eat their own rainbow.
Want to make your own? They're super easy but definitely time consuming to make.
Here's what we'll do:
We'll alternate layers of straight jello with layers of jello mixed with your choice of yogurt or sour cream.
These are the colors I used and the order in which I used them:
red (bottom)
red+yogurt
orange
orange+yogurt
yellow
yellow+yogurt
green
green+yogurt
blue
blue+yogurt
purple
purple+yogurt (top)
Rainbow Jello in Pint Jars
Ingredients
One box of Jello (flavored gelatin) of each color: red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple (I used sugar-free); you'll have six boxes of flavored gelatin total
Vanilla yogurt, plain yogurt or sour cream (I used vanilla yogurt)
Five clean pint jars
Six plastic cups for mixing jello with boiling water- makes for easy clean-up
Boiling water (1-1/4 cups of boiling water per box of flavored gelatin)
Sweetened whipped cream (schmoo) or whipped topping
A couple hours of your time
Directions
Mix the jello as indicated on the box EXCEPT use 1-1/4 cups of boiling water per packet.
Line up your pint jars in a row and add a scant 1/4 cup of the first color to each jar.
Add a big soup spoonful (I'm guessing that's about 2 Tb) of vanilla yogurt (or plain yogurt or sour cream) to the remaining jello in the mixing cup and whisk/stir until smooth.
Place the pint jars in the freezer for about ten minutes (to help the first layer set quickly). Put the jello-yogurt mixture in the fridge for the same amount of time.
Take the jars out of the freezer and divide up the jello-yogurt mixture into each pint jar (about a scant 1/4 cup). I used a spoon to deflect the warm jello mixture so that it wouldn't sink through the existing jello layer.
Return the jars to the freezer for another ten minutes to set the jello-yogurt mixture.
Take the jars out of the freezer and repeat the above instructions for each of the remaining five colors allowing at least 10 minutes set time for each layer.
Once completed- refrigerate the jars (don't keep them in the freezer...I only used the freezer to speed up the setting up time of the jello). Add whipped topping or schmoo (sweetened whipped cream) to the top. Eat. Enjoy! You're eating a rainbow!
Green- Blue-Purple
cups of dissolved jello in plastic cups
Last layer! Woo hoo! Just in the knick of time too... time to go to Annika's last choir concert of the year. (the towel covered slow cooker in the background has a batch of yogurt-in-the-works in it)
So very pretty!
Lovely with clouds of whipped cream!
The girls are obviously upset that they're being made to eat this. Obviously. Can't you tell?
We all ate our rainbows differently. Annika ate hers one layer at a time.
Daddy's way...several colors at once (my way too)
Ava stabbed her rainbow jello with a spoon and turned hers into a jar of tiny colorful cubes of jello.
The funny part? It's made of jello and I'm not the biggest fan of jello! So I'm kind of laughing at myself for spending a couple of hours making this pretty dessert. I might trying half-pint jars next time around for true individual serving-size desserts.
Linking this post up to Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday, Skip to My Lou's Made by You Mondays




i don't like jello either, but those sure are pretty!
I am not a fan of jello either, but I love this idea. Those jars of jello are so pretty.
Ok, seriously? This is my favorite link of the day. I am going to feature it somehow. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesday. :)
OR....I am about to switch to my new site and there will be a link for adding in guest post recipes. If you want to submit this, I'd love to feature it as a whole post. It doesn't have to be as long, you could just give your highlights. :)
Thanks for the comments! They brighten my day!
Thanks Jen! I feel honored that you like my post! I will definitely submit this as a guest post for your site.
My kids want to move to your house now. That ribbon jello turned out delightful! and "shmoo" on the top...oh my;)
my son loves jello and I can't wait to show him these! He will definitely want to make them! So awesome!