Need Beginner Reader Book Suggestions!


Annika has decided that she likes reading.

It might have to do with the fact that we've set up a reward system to keep her interested in reading.

Hey- I'm okay with that! As long as she keeps at it ...reading will get easier for her.


Now I'm on the look-out for EASY, beginner (pre-primer) books for her. I mean the kind that have only a few words on the page and the pictures kind of go with the words. Most of the books at our Borders (and library) have lots of words (the early readers really aren't for beginner readers!). I want to encourage her- not discourage her.


Got any suggestions for me?

Janet  – (February 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM)  

Have you talked to the librarian? our library has tons of easy books - just a few words on each page. My favorite series is called We Both Read, or Reading Together, or something like that. It's one story, but the left pages have lots of text, for the parent to read, and the right pages have just a few words, for the child. It's much more interesting and entertaining than "red dog. red cat. run dog. run cat."

Kate  – (February 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM)  

We use BOB books, and Playful Pals by Nora Gaydos -- we prefer the latter.

Tiffany  – (February 25, 2009 at 8:41 PM)  

How about making a book for her or with her. Think of some words she can read and use those long with pictures you draw or print out or maybe have her draw the pictures.

Emily P  – (February 25, 2009 at 9:13 PM)  

WE LOVE BISCUIT! Isaac eats these up! I am also a fan of Old School "Sally, Dick and Jane". It gives them confidence in reading and includes a lot of sight words. I agree with the comment re: making books. That sounds like something right up your alley. I have made books for BaileyRose using discarded scrapbooking pics (I KNOW you have some of those!) out of blank books from the Dollar Tree. A series of pics seems to work best. IE: "See Bailey swing. Swing, Bailey, swing. Swing, swing, swing." Ike likes Clifford books too and even if you are helping she will think she is big stuff. Dogs seem to be a theme here don't they? Hmmmm.... my Momma might have something to do with that.....

Anonymous –   – (February 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM)  

The Bob books are great, as are the Starfall phonics readers. They're so boring they'll make you want to poke your eyes out with pencils, BUT they do build one phonics concept at a time really successfully. Tommy loves to practice with them because he has little successes sounding out words without too much effort.

Here are the Amazon links.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-Beginning-Readers/dp/0439845009/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235619428&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Starfall-Learn-Read-Phonics-Book/dp/1595770003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235619473&sr=1-1

Unknown  – (March 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM)  

Your blog header is so DARLING!! Wish I had a good book recommendation for you...I have all teenagers now so I think childhood has been sucked out of me!
Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Christian  – (March 14, 2009 at 6:01 PM)  

Bob Books and Dick and Jane. Check out the book called "Honey for a Child's Heart." This is not a beginner reading book, but one for you about reading and making it a lifelong love for your children. The benefits are endless, as you already know. Half of this book is dedicated to lists by age for kids to read. It is a phenomenal read for grownups and a huge help to the "which book?" question!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP