Apple-y Ever After

It's Apple Season here in Southwest Wisconsin!
Hooray!

And that means heading to our favorite apple orchards in Gays Mills (about a 1-1/2 hour drive north) for a big bag of the bestest apples known to mankind- Honeycrisp apples.  The first time we had a Honeycrisp apple I was just blown away by it- it's sweet and tart and crisp and juicy and just plain ol' perfect.  Seriously.  Even though they're $18 for a peck of 'em (and don't ask me what a peck actually is) they're sooooooo worth it!  We always make a stop at Kickapoo Orchard for our fill of Honeycrisp apples and a gallon of apple cider.

Then another stop at another orchard to pick up apple cider donuts.  They're fat-free and calorie-free, right?  LOL!  They ARE tasty!

And the trip to Gays Mills wouldn't be complete without a stop at Starry Ridge Apple Orchard for some apple picking.  

I'm thankful that my girls are growing up knowing where food comes from- it's not just something that magically appears on the shelves in the grocery store. 

This year we picked both Spartan and Cortland varieties...these will get turned into lots of apple pies and applesauce!
Daddy helping Annika man the pole apple picker thingy.

Naturally you have try the apples!  (Annika has a very loose front tooth...can you tell?)
My bunch of apple pickers!

It seriously took less than thirty minutes to pick our bushel of apples.

Now I've got tons of apples to turn into yummy apple pies and applesauce.  What a great problem to have!
(I tried making some mini apple pies...they turned out so well that I think I'll have to make more to freeze ...and write a post about them!)

What are your favorite apple dishes? 

tawathie  – (September 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM)  

Have you tried making apple dumplings? They are delightful!

Amy Siegert  – (September 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM)  

I love the stipey look on the girls! It's great that you show the kids where good food comes from. And now I must get off my can and do something with the apples sitting in my basement. They're not as tasty as the orchard ones, but they'll make good applesauce.
I'd have to say my favorite apple dish is my mom's apple crisp, served warm with ice cream. ahhh....

denise  – (September 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM)  

Fun! We live so close to a few orchards that we just stop by every week for more and for yet another gallon of fresh pressed cider. Cider apples are about ready at one of our favorite spots about 10 minutes away, so we will be going tomorrow! :) Love apple time.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP