Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium: a small expedition

It's the last week of summer break.  And Daddy is gone a week-long business trip to Russia (he's 13 hours ahead of us!).
So, what does that translate for me?
It means I have to come up with activities (and lots of 'em) to keep the girls busy and engaged so that they'll go to sleep for me AND keep me sane.  The sane part most of all, though!

So when my friend, Anuschka, called and invited us on an outing to the National Mississippi River Museum how could I refuse?!

I've gotta tell you- it's been YEARS since we last visited this particular museum.  I remember it being kind of boring and not very engaging for the kids but yet with a hefty admission price tag.  

I'm happy to say that most of that (except the hefty price tag) has changed!  They've been adding on a lot to the museum and opening up lots of exhibits that are very kid (and therefore exhausted parent)-friendly.  

For example: here's the waterworks station: 
Brilliant!  Activities to keep those kids moving and busy!

After wandering one of the museum's buildings (it used to be a casino) we ate lunch on the cafe's patio and watched a paddle boat makes its way out of the small harbor.  The boat is called The Spirit of Dubuque and you can take a boat tour of the area on it (it's a very short and not exactly inspiring ride).

After lunch Rafiqu really wanted to show us the William M. Black- an old WWII boat used to dredge up the Mississippi River.  It's now an exhibit at the museum and you can tour the entire boat- from engine room to the mess hall...to the cockpit.  Watch out for Captain Ava!->






We got to pretend that we were hungry shipmates...anxious to grab our meal.  

Check out this beast of a mixer!  Remind you of anything?  



The kids spent a long, long time playing with this "heater" or "engine" or whatever it was supposed to be.  There were logs that you put in the front side, which in turn lit up the "engine" and then those same logs came out in a compartment in the back.  This kept the kids running back and forth trying to keep the engine or heater to stay lit up.

The kids also got to pretend they were loggers- running logs down the river.  Lots of dancing and wiggling happened on those logs!

We had a great visit at the museum!  Even better was that we got to enjoy it with friends! 
:-)

Life is good!
So....for the rest of my week...

Tuesday- full day at the zoo with a picnic lunch followed by more play time (and then a dull trip to Costco)

Wednesday- fun play date with friends at our house after story time at our little library

Thursday- play date with our great friends from Something So Big, making egg noodles, collecting caterpillars to observe in jars (I'm really afraid that these are the dreaded Gypsy Moths but I'm not sure) and finally Music at the Park in Platteville

Friday- REST! day (I bought lots of watermelon and cantaloupe at a roadside stand which I'm planning to turn into watermelon jelly and cantaloupe ice cream).  Maybe, just maybe, I'll take the girls to a local swimming pool.  

Saturday- we've got a fun play date scheduled at Governor Dodge State Park

Sunday- not sure about...any ideas?

Monday- also not sure about...more ideas?
AND Monday night DADDY comes HOME!!!!

Tuesday- rest day for us all.  We're gonna need it!!!!


Amy Siegert  – (August 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM)  

We're glad we got to be a part of your week! Looks really busy and full to me! Your kids are really lucky :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP