Trying Tuesday
Yesterday morning I had the best of intentions...
*I wanted (determined) to take the girls to a fun state park*
Plan A. Head back to Governor Dodge State Park for swimming and fun in the sand. I packed a picnic lunch...pb&j sandwiches, peas and grapes. I was about to pack our swimsuits and sand toys when I looked out the window and noticed that it was gray and very cool...No swimming today!
Plan B. After dropping borrowed stuff off at play group we'd head out to Wyalusing State Park. It's really a gorgeous park and about one hour away.
*Hmmm....Road Detour. Bridge Out Ahead.*
Take detour...and realize that we're just a few miles from our house! After nearly forty minutes of driving I'm (almost) back at where I started from-my house! AAAACCCKKK!
Plan C. I promised the girls I'd take them to a park. I borrowed Mark's car (it has the State Park sticker on it). I was going to go to a state park even though everything seemed to be conspiring against me! LOL! Then I remembered Nelson Dewey State Park. It's only 30 minutes away.
*Whew!*
I also told the Girlies we'd stop at the Cassville Coffee Company for a drink after we went to the park. I wrote about the coffee place in this post from last year. We drove past the building where the coffee shop was located and it was completely vacant! No coffee shop! No drinks for us!
We did finally make it to Nelson Dewey state park. It is a lovely place but...am I missing something? There isn't much to do there. There are a few short walks and it does overlook the Mississippi River...there just isn't much. We did a couple of the very short walks (how short? 0.2 miles...like walking out to my veggie garden and back!) We ate our lunch. The cool weather and cloudy skies reminded me of summers in Alaska. I told the Girlies that this might be what it's like on our visit to Alaska later this summer.
The Girlies were a bit confused. When I said I was taking them to a park they'd both assumed I was taking them to a playground. While we were at the park they kept asking where the park was. Ummm...We're IN the park! I realized then they meant playground.
On one of the very short nature trails in the state park. That's the Mighty Mississippi River. I love typing Mississippi. Mississippi...And that's Iowa across the river (I think).
So ...off we dashed to the playground (not at the park...close to our house though). Much happiness and rejoicing!
At the playground. Annika loves climbing. She'll trying climbing up (nearly) anything! She's great at the monkey bars too!
Ava enjoyed running around the playground. We were the only ones there! *End of my Trying (to be a good mommy) Tuesday Adventure. I think I've had enough for today!*


Ah, the best-laid plans of Mice and Moms.
..when are you going to Alaska?