Ava's room Update

Little by little Ava's room is changing from the nursery into a space of her own.

A few months ago I painted the walls and clouds.

Ava decided she wanted PINK curtains. So pink they are! had a bit of trouble finding curtains that fit my bill so we ended up with these cute polka dot ones from The Company Store; the original color I'd wanted- a brighter pink- was no longer available. The curtains and comforter cover are in a color called Petal. Isn't that a lovely name for a color for a little girl's room?

I found that large embroidered piece at Goodwill. Somebody put a lot of effort into making it! It's a meadow or garden scene- just seemed perfect. I'm not sure what to do with the frame. I can't decide if I should paint it or not.


I painted these wooden flower hooks. I painted some for Annika a long time ago and Ava kept asking when she was going to get her own set. See that trim that Annika is holding? We still plan on putting a chair rail around the room between the sky border and the white wall....just hasn't happened yet!
Our old coffee table acts as a nice train table/play table for the girls.
I moved her bookshelf over and bought her a little chair at Ikea. I think I'd like to get her a lamp to make a cozy reading nook. I really want to paint the desk and hutch and change out the hardware. What color do you think it should be? White? Off-white? Apple green? Something else? I've never painted furniture before but I'm pretty excited to try! So...there you have it. Someday we'll find her a nice headboard. And perhaps I'll go nuts and make her a quilt! (I should perhaps start with sewing lessons before thinking about doing that!)
What do you think?

Amy Siegert  – (July 28, 2009 at 9:18 AM)  

How fun! Ava's wearing her swimsuit, I see. Reminds me of a little Somebody over at our house!

Maybe it's the lazy in me, but I wouldn't paint that beautiful wood furniture. When she gets older, her tastes will change and wood is classic. right? But if you have your heart set on it, I think white would be your best bet. Just my 2 cents.

You are do creative - love those flower hooks too!

Unknown  – (July 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM)  

The room is really coming together very nicely, Astrid. I agree with Amy - the furniture looks nice this way (maybe not as girlie as you or Ava would like though), a matching headboard for the bed would bring it more together. I love the needlework picture - can you do a close-up? I think I would frame it a little differently though (wider frame).

Astrid in Bristling Acres  – (July 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM)  

The furniture isn't in great shape...it's very worn in parts. I just think a fresh coat of paint would give it a fresh, new life. Plus the wood tone looks rather dark in there (since it's such a small room).

akawest  – (July 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM)  

The room looks lovely. I think painting the furniture would be a fun change. My vote would be for white. I think a lot of people use a color called heirloom white, which looks pretty.

I am sitting at what I believe is the exact same desk that your daughter has, except in a darker finish. It belonged to my older daughter, and I have now changed it a bit. The rest of the set is in my younger daughter's room. She still needs a headboard, too.

Christi  – (July 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM)  

That is so cute! I'm really impressed. Hey, do you wanna come paint my house? Hehe. That's so fun that your updating her room for her, I'm sure she'll love it.

Christina  – (July 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM)  

Go for the quilt, Astrid! You are so talented it's bound to turn out perfect.

Tracey  – (July 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM)  

I love that desk and hutch! Curtains are so cute, too. It's going to be a lovely room!

Tania @ Larger Family Life  – (July 31, 2009 at 8:48 AM)  

That's such a pretty room! You did a good job there :-)

Tania (visiting from SITS)

Magic Brush  – (February 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM)  

I have a little Ava too! She is still in her baby room... but I can't wait to change themes eventually. After 2 boys I just love doing the girly stuff!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP