Late May Garden with New Star of the Show...

My hanging basket I planted full of lovely plants. (I can give you the plant list if you're interested). In another month or so this beauty will be really full and hanging beautifully.

Do you see what Mark made for me???

Check out the New Stars of the Show:

{{{{Upper Window Boxes}}}}
I planted Wave petunias, sweet potato vines, purple asters, pink geraniums, lime green creeping jenny, purple cabbage (hoping for fall color) and teddy bear sunflower seeds (they're short and sweet). Shouldn't take too long before these window boxes are overflowing with color. LOVE them! Thanks so much, Mark!!!!

(Do you think I should paint the shutters black? Then I could paint my front door a fun color....like turquoise or yellow or orange or red or green or...)
Another view of my darling hanging basket. I couldn't find just the right one so I planted my own. Annabelle hydrangea is getting ready to bloom.

Veggie Garden, early June 2010. My tomato beds are completely over-run by borage. I'll have to carefully lift them out and plant them elsewhere (great for pollination as bees LOVE borage). We created a larger pumpkin patch (which I'm hoping will also be home to some cutting flowers). I just planted the beans around the poles. This year I'm trying some novelty yard long beans. Can't wait to see what those will be like! I still have lots to plant but I'm still in recovery mode from the half-marathon from last weekend. See that little inflatable green pool? That's how I plan on keeping the girls from whining at me every time I have garden work to do. Plus, I can take a dip after a hard day of working in the gardens. :) I'd say it's a win-win situation!My potato patch this year...

Perhaps a little unusual but I really wanted to give these potato growing bags a try. So far the potato plants are taking off and growing like crazy. The cart means I can wheel the potatoes around (for maximum sun, etc). I'm growing red, white and blue potatoes. Okay, so they're not really called that but those should be their colors!
Front flower garden. It changes a little from year to year (as the shrubs grow). I really love the color and texture combos. I mostly look at leaf color and texture when I pick out plants or flowers. On occasion I do choose a flower based solely on its bloom color but it's pretty rare. I love variation.
Front Door Greeter. She's spiky on the inside but very girly on the outside.
Around the corner of the house... My giant red poppies just finished blooming....
Hummingbirds...frequent visitors at my feeders.

This is the first year for the iris. I bought them from some elderly ladies at a garage sale. They said they were tiger lilies. Hmmmm..... I don't think so! I didn't know what color they'd be so I was taking a chance but as it turns out they were a deep purple- absolutely perfect for my garden!
Just love this color/texture combo.
Hummingbird feeder by our front door. We've seen up to five tiny birds feeding at once.

Hope you're enjoying your garden! Now you know where to find me on a nice day.....

Mark –   – (June 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM)  

I'm very, very happy that you have your upper window boxes now, and of course I am very happy that you love them. I really look forward to seeing them "get big" and overflow!

Unknown  – (June 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM)  

..oh wow Astrid - the front garden looks absolutely beautiful..
It was very nice of Mark to make you more window boxes - in my opinion they help making a house a home.
I am so envious of your hummingbirds - I have not seen any this year but our garden is so overgrown that they probably want to keep away :(

Margaret  – (June 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM)  

Wow Astrid! Your garden makes me want to go out and dig in my yard! Of course, it would be nicer if it wasn't raining. Perhaps the next sunny day will see some gardening fun over here! Those window boxes look great, and you'll have to let us know how the potato bags work out for you!

Amy Siegert  – (June 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM)  

Those window boxes really complete the look of the front of the house - great job, Mark! And EXCELLENT work on the many gardens, Astrid! It is beautiful and full of variety. The hummingbird photo is stunning.

Bitterroot Mama  – (June 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM)  

Your landscape is beautiful. I'm feeling a little envious. Did you do it yourself? What a gorgeous landscape to enjoy every day - with the hummingbirds, of course! Best wishes for your potatoes. I thought that was a cute way to describe them.

Beth  – (June 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM)  

Your gardens get better every year! It was that lush front garden that I was trying to imitate with my plantings over the last couple years - I hope that mine will fill in as beautifully as yours has. If you ever need more purple iris than what you've already got there, we're very nearly overrun with them here ... come dig a few (dozen). I need to get moving on the veggies ... the essentials are in place, but the extras aren't planted yet!!!!

boxingdoc  – (June 4, 2010 at 9:22 AM)  

I have those same potato bags. I've planted them up with Yukon golds and plopped them in my front garden...lots of sun and I won't forget to water them. Love the flower boxes.

Astrid in Bristling Acres  – (June 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM)  

As my mom can attest to these gardens were started from scratch. After Annika was born she came and helped out...and one of the things she did was weed out my front flower bed (which was nothing but very tall, overgrown weeds). This house is a new construction so we've had to do everything from scratch. I'm honestly not as much into landscaping as I am into gardening (although I do admire a nicely landscaped place). That means I'm constantly tweaking and changing my arrangements and adding more plants and beds. Some day I wouldn't mind taking over the entire front lawn...but the girls still like to run and play so the grass will stay for several more years.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP