Pop-Art Flowers for Front Door
I wanted something vibrant and fun and different to hang on my front door. I'm wreath-ed out. I'm fried out on fake flowers.... and I wanted something new and different for cheap.
I think I got that!
I purchased the basket at a yard sale on Friday. It had a handle (one of the below photos) and some icky paper thingy on the front of it that I immediately took off. I'm bad about taking before photos- seems so silly to take a photo of junk. I started dismantling it right away and came up with an idea to make pop-art flowers.
I wish I'd remember to take photos of my projects while I'm doing them. I feel like if I stop to take photos I might get out of my limited time craft-groove. Know what I mean?
The flowers are super simple to make- circles of felt cut out and sewn together with a vintage-y button in the middle (sometimes I glued another button on top of that sewn on button to make it pop out more). I took some left over floral foam and stuck it in the basket. I cut some branches/twigs and stuck them into the floral foam (that gives the sticks something firm to hold on to- I tried doing it without the foam and it didn't work). I hot glued the flowers on to the sticks and then glued some leftover pom poms on to the sticks to make it extra colorful. At that point the flowers didn't really look like flowers so I cut a few leaves out of green felt and hot glued them close to the flowers.
Mark calls them Eye Ball Flowers. LOL!
I also decided that I didn't like the original basket color....so what's a gal to do? Spray paint! I spray painted it with what I had at home- black chalkboard spray paint. (use what you got, right?) I cut the "Hi" out of white paper using my Cricut machine (love that thing!). I just wanted to add something fun.
I can't tell if I'm finished with this arrangement or it needs something else. Maybe a pop-art bird's nest and eggs?
This is the basket handle I removed....it looked too... country (I think that's the word I'm looking for).
....................
The day after I created my front door flower basket I spotted a similar flower bouquet at bookhousecraftprojects via One Pretty Thing. I just had to make some more flowers...with the girls' help!
The lovely finished flower bouquets....
The girls busily crafting away.
Ava's unique flowers.

Annika just whipped out a bunch of flowers.
These flowers also used felt circles but instead of gluing the flowers to a stick you use a pipe cleaner as the stem. I hole-punched through all the felt layers and then we stuck one pipe cleaner (with one end curled tightly around itself to make a small ball) through all layers of felt. We ran out of green pipe cleaners so our stems ended up being in a rainbow of colors!
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative BlogThe lovely finished flower bouquets....
The girls really were excited that they were allowed to use some of my felt fabric stash. It was an excellent way to use up all those little scraps of felt I couldn't bear to throw away. And now we've got pretty flowers that don't require any water, sun or fertilizer to enjoy. :)
.....................
In other news...I'm still training for the half marathon. I'm starting to feel like I could actually accomplish my goal now! I jogged 9 miles on Saturday....in the rain (heavy rain at times!). The rain actually felt good. Mark dropped me off nine miles away from home and I had to jog home. I made it home 99 minutes later (11 minutes per mile...which is my best time yet). I'm still pretty nervous about the actual half marathon event. I'll be so glad when I can cross that accomplishment off of my life-long list of goals.
This post shared with:





I LOVE the flowers - cool!!
The flowers are pretty and whimsical! Your girls are so lucky to have a crafty mom with a good supply stash, too :)
You're going to do great at the halfer. Hooray for YOU!
I. LOVE. THIS. IDEA.
:)
I adore this project it is whimsy fun and says come on in!!~