{Window Trim!} :: Before & After photos

HOOORAY!

We finished putting up the window trim up on the five windows in our living room space!

I've been searching high and low for before photos that adequately show the space before...but these will have to do...

{Before}
-hate hate hate hate hate that trim!
Another beforeBefore- Giant TV cabinet in one corner of long, narrow and very awkward living room space. Furniture is pushed up against the walls. No color- it felt like being in a hospital- sterile and unfriendly.

This post here shows the most recent BEFORE photos of the space. I just wanted to show you what it looked like when we moved in.
Very awkward- the woodstove and the wall opposite it don't line up.
{AFTER}
We decided to paint our main floor walls TWO YEARS AGO. The living room walls are Sherwin Williams Svelte Sage. We decided in a fit a genius to remove all the trim to make the painting go faster. Managed in the process to break most of the trim. Oh well. We didn't like it anyway. Then I spent the next two years going back and forth on whether we should do stained wood trim or painted trim. Painted won!



We rearranged the furniture (several times I might add) over the course of the last several years. This configuration seems to work best. It allows for a cozy space to watch both the TV and stare at the fire in the woodstove. Behind the sofa we have the play area corner.
I'm thinking of adding more artwork or perhaps mirrors on the walls on either side of the woodstove. The artwork stands out now thanks to the new off-white mats I recently purchased.

We were working on getting our new entertainment furniture put up (which is why I was late joining the After party!). I certainly love it far better than what we had before! (notice trim on door missing...and we're going to change out that ceiling light soon!)
Ah yes...just to show you that we're no where near completed with our task. And that bookshelf used to be our most recent entertainment center. I'm going to paint it and try dolling it up a bit. I think it'll be a perfect catch-all unit (hats, mittens, etc). Yes, the walls are bare. I took everything down in a recent decorating fit I had and have yet to put stuff back up. I thought maybe it'd be good to take it down and start fresh- perhaps with some new ideas (using old materials!).

Oh yes...and more doors to trim out. I think I'll paint the front door unit the same color as the painted trim.
Better view of the kid area. There is stuff missing from the walls and that hanging lamp needs to be moved (it's a recent & very welcome addition- thank you Ikea!).
So...what do you think?

We've obviously got quite a task ahead of us in finishing up the trim work. I'm pretty excited now. I love how the windows look now.

There are a few other things ahead...I'd like to some how get all the plant pots to match in color. Not sure how to best accomplish that with as many plants as I have. We will also purchase a tall bookcase to place next to the TV (the TV will be off center on the wall because of the strange wall lay out) and the bookcase will make it look a little more even. I think the walls need more artwork- I've always loved that ...oh what's it called? studio look....with lots of artwork on a wall. I've got several light fixtures I'd like to change out. I'd like to paint that one little bookshelf and make it useful with baskets. I'd like to get some pegs/hooks to place near the door to the garage (that's the deep red door).

It's coming together slowly but I really like the changes.

I'm linking this post to The Inspired Room's Procrastinator After Party...One day late! (better late than never, right?)

Now I'm off to cut out more bats out of black foam sheet to stick on the outside of my house!

Anonymous –   – (October 21, 2009 at 5:42 PM)  

Looks great! It's so much cozier with the green walls, and white trim is so clean and classy looking. Great job.

Emily P  – (October 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM)  

Really like that color on the walls. Glad to have the name.... we really need to paint our living room but I DO NOT like to paint AT ALL!!!!! My sister is great at it~ maybe she will come down and enjoy the warm weather and paint for me?

Amy Siegert  – (October 22, 2009 at 10:02 AM)  

Astrid, the living room window trims look beautiful! Isn't it inspiring to see something "finished"? Good luck with the rest- you've been very busy!

cindy@cottage instincts  – (October 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM)  

Looks fabulous! That green wall color is so soothing yet happy. I also did the white trim, but the windows themselves still wood. Very cool. Totally cozy room. Good on ya!

Janet  – (October 22, 2009 at 8:09 PM)  

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I took a break from the dresser for a few days. I love the white trim on your windows. I really like the green. I am going to paint my great room this year and it will be that green or some blue. I'm still undecided.

You have a cute house.

Sara  – (October 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM)  

I love the new trim! We have an older home and I also keep debating stain or paint - it's mostly stain now, but I'm really wanting to paint!

Great work!

Andrea @ Big Creek Cottage  – (October 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM)  

Oh my goodness...I love your transformation....don't you love what a can of paint can do for a room...simply beautiful!!!! Thanks for dropping by big creek cottage....

Gina  – (October 22, 2009 at 9:57 PM)  

Beautiful changes! I love your green walls and the trim looks great against it!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room  – (October 22, 2009 at 10:53 PM)  

The room looks lovely, I bet it FEELS amazing! Glad you joined in, yep, better a day late than not at all! :-)

Enjoy!

Jayne  – (October 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM)  

I love your re-do. I love to paint so can totally appreciate what you've accomplished! Great looking room!!
Blessings,
Jayne at mysongwithin

Miss Mustard Seed  – (October 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM)  

Wow! Much better all around. Nice work.

Lexi  – (October 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM)  

Hi, I just came across your blog and wanted to share my site with you since you have cute little girls! :)
www.sugarandspice4baby.blogspot.com
www.sugarandspice1.etsy.com

Shannon @ Silver Trappings  – (October 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM)  

It looks great. I love the colors! And I love the white trim. Very pretty.

Maybe you and I will get our rooms completely finished before the holidays!

Shannon

Leslie  – (October 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM)  

Stopping by from SITS! Great room redo. Everything is fabulous. Love the room color.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog  – (October 26, 2009 at 2:30 PM)  

I like the white of the window trim, especially with that beautiful paint color. Great job!

gail@My Repurposed Life  – (October 27, 2009 at 5:40 PM)  

I love the trim, I'm getting ready to do that in my living room. Just need to find the time!
thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! really sweet!
gail

Michelle, All Home and Love  – (October 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM)  

I really like the new trim you did, the room looks great! Very cozy!
~Michelle

Kristy  – (October 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM)  

Thanks for visiting me!

I love your new window trim - it looks great! So much more distinctive than what was there before, and I love that its painted.

Sabrina  – (November 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM)  

Thanks for visiting me! Love your new trim and doors. I hate our current trim and just can't seem to tackle the job of painting it all.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP