A beautiful sunset - Natural Energy Lab Beach
>> Thursday, March 24, 2011 –
Big Island,
dolphins,
Hawaii
So after swimming with some of these:
I got to have some of this:
(sushi)
Perhaps I should clarify!
My brother-in-law (aka Uncle Ray), his step dad (Mark B.- who happens to be a scuba diver and very knowledgeable about the Big Island) and I got to go snorkeling in Kailua Bay (located near the heart of Kona) on Thursday morning. On the drive to our drop off point we noticed a pod of spinner dolphins hanging out in the bay. We quickly made our way snorkeling across the bay (but also stopping to notice an eel swimming, schools of interesting fish and many other wonderful things) before getting to the dolphins. I've never gotten to be so close to them before! You could hear their clicking sounds before you could see them (that's how we knew they were still there). OMG! I almost panicked when I saw the first one- so close to me. They're such graceful ballerinas in and out of the water (spinning as their name implies). We'd see a group of them swimming together...and then maybe two close together...and then I did see what must have been a mama dolphin swimming with her baby (since it was a much smaller dolphin). I was nervous yet beyond thrilled to be in the water and watch them. And all it took was a some snorkeling gear & courage (and our guide- that being Mark B.). Pretty darn amazing and thrilling! Only thing...I didn't have a camera to take photos of the lovely dolphins. The above photo is actually one Daddy took while on his night manta ray snorkeling trip (and he paid Big Bucks for his trip and I didn't! Okay, okay....what they got to experience was certainly worth those Big Bucks and I'm most definitely not complaining. Just wanted to let you know that you don't have to lay out serious cash to experience these beautiful dancers of the ocean.)
Later....much later on the same day....
We went back to the Natural Energy Lab Beach to view the Sunset.
I just love the swirls that you can see in the lava.
The sea water evaporated and left behind the sea salt.....
Waiting and watching the sun set.
*On a side note....someone on Mark's night manta ray snorkeling trip asked if the water gets cold after dark. The guide said no- it actually heats up when the sun goes down into it! LOL!*


What a beautiful sunset! So neat how you got to swim with the dolphins. Once again, I am impressed with your kids' palates. My kids have been looking at your pics here and all said "ewww" when they saw that sushi!!
Amy- tell the girls that sushi doesn't always mean raw fish. A lot of the sushi we eat does have cooked fish in it (usually crab or shrimp). The sushi rolls we get are made of sticky rice, some veggies and bits of fish wrapped in nori (dried seaweed).