Wallcome to Wall Drug

At the beginning of July we blasted across Minnesota and South Dakota to make our way to the Black Hills of South Dakota (and then westward to Yellowstone).  Of course no drive on I-90 is complete without a stop to the oddly amusing, very touristy stop:


Wallcome to Wall Drug in South Dakota!





Their Claim to Fame:  
(free ice water)

Wall Drug is a very large tourist compound with just about everything you can think of (and, surprisingly enough, a drug store)....including this homemade ice cream shop....



and of course you can't miss this giant Jack Rabbit Thingamabob - which Mark just informed me is called a Jackalope.  

or this animatronic T-Rex who moved every and roared every 15 or 20 minutes.  Ava and I watched from afar.  LOL!

Certainly have to browse through the hats collection...I'm sure we'll find one that will fit.



Hmmm...maybe not this one.



Wall Drug is just One of Those Places...the kind that has billboards advertising its location hundreds of miles away.  We've stopped here once before on our crazy drive to the gorgeous Northwest (Ava was six months old then).  We just can't help stopping here for a driving break.  Plus, it's just fun to see all the craziness that exists within this complex.  (oh, we did enjoy browsing through the Rock Shop).  It's just something you have to experience...ONCE.  Or maybe TWICE.  

Amy Siegert  – (July 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM)  

How funny is this - we stopped at this place in the mid 80s on our way to visiting my Mom's cousins. Quite the place, huh! I don't remember the animatronic T-rex head or Jackalope though...and did you happen to catch the Corn Palace?!

Astrid in Bristling Acres  – (July 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM)  

We took a pass on The Corn Palace. Maybe next time....

I can only handle one cheesy tourist stop in a day! LOL!!!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP