milk snakes & my flower garden

How's about that for a boring ol' title?

Meet one of our resident milksnakes:

Generally Eastern milk snakes are very mild mannered (in our area). Naturally I would NEVER recommend someone unfamiliar to snakes to just go pick one up! Don't hurt these snakes though- they help with pest control (from mice to slugs...depends on the type of snake).My front flower garden:
So...I like the flower bed that sits directly in front of the house...but the bed on the other side of the walk way needs some help (it's also newer). I need to let the plants grow a little more before deciding what to do....but I'm considering widening that bed, adding a small tree (crabapple perhaps?) and doing drifts of plantings (groups of three) instead of one plant here and another there. Plus I'd like to carry that same blue and purple color with punches of yellow and orange to the other side. Do you see the hummingbird at the feeder? This photo was taken last week and my window boxes already look different. Oh...we've got about a dozen or more hummingbirds zooming about here at any given time. You can hear them before you can see them.


I do like how this planter has evolved- with blues (hostas), purples (Wine & Roses weigela & wild geranium) with punches of yellow and orange....plus the evergreen shrubs give it texture. Can you see Mr. or Mrs. Robin sitting on her nest? They've got four babies who are getting bigger and bigger every day.

So...I guess you could say I'm Hooked on Nice Snakes & My flower garden. How about you? Come see what everyone else is hooked on today at Hooked on Houses.

Unknown  – (May 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM)  

Astrid, your garden is absolutely gorgeous and I really like the window boxes this year (nice combination)

RunninL8  – (May 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM)  

Beautiful garden and I'm jealous of your hummingbirds!!! I miss them so much!
Great new header by the way!!!

desiree  – (May 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM)  

I had to stop by when I saw the title! I have 4 boys...2 are reptile experts(in my opinion). They once caught a 2 1/2 foot King snake while camping...but he was returned to his exact spot so his family wouldn't miss him. We don't have snakes in our garden but a lot of lizards! Perfect for boys. Thanks for the post.

boxingdoc  – (May 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM)  

Your gardens are looking great. Maybe a nice little Japanese Maple? They have purplish leaves, in keeping with your theme.

Edwina (HouseAHolic)  – (May 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM)  

Your garden is phenomenal - wow. I come from a place where all the snakes are potentially fatal if they bite you (Tasmania) so the idea of leaving them around the garden is completely new to me. We do get some beautiful lizards around though...

The Pennington Point  – (May 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM)  

Oh it's beautiful! You have done wonderful things with the front of your house. Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed visiting yours! Lisa`

Buzzings of a Queen Bee!  – (May 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM)  

Wow, I love your window boxes. Everything looks so pretty!
Carrie

Jenny  – (May 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM)  

Your garden is so pretty!

The last snake I saw in my yard was a Copperhead snake!

Decor To Adore  – (May 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM)  

This post is like a breath of fresh spring air!

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home  – (May 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM)  

Astrid, ugh! I have a snake phobia...cannot imagine having one around for any reason! Your garden is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog on floral design tips and leaving a comment. maybe it has inspired you to pick from your garden and make an arrangement!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP